In September of 1954, a girls club was organized by Mrs. W.J. Masewicz and Rev. Harold Backer at Mount Calvary Lutheran Church in La Crosse, Wisconsin, with the idea in mind of completing a youth program for Christian fellowship.
On May 5, 1955, a meeting of six congregations from the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod from La Crosse, Wisconsin, Fountain City, Wisconsin, and Winona, Minnesota, was held at Mount Calvary Lutheran Church to draw up a formal constitution for Lutheran Girl Pioneers. The constitution was adopted on June 22 and the same day the first National council was elected.
The following year several meetings were held by the National Council. The group adopted their charter and set national dues. They accept the charm bracelet with a disk as the achievement recognition for Travelers. This was the year the first Lutheran Girl Pioneers manual was printed. St. Martin's Lutheran Church, Winona, Minnesota, was host to the first convention on May 16, 1956.
The year 1956-57 was another busy year for the National Council. This year the Spinning Wheel was adopted as the national emblem. Two new charms were added to the bracelet, the Bonnet for the Trailblazer achievement and the Spinning Wheel for the Homesteader. The group also adopted a temporary uniform. The first field day was held at Myrick Park in La Crosse, Wisconsin, on July 24, 1956. The first thirteen charters were presented at the second national convention on May 8, 1957.
Since then Lutheran Girl Pioneers has grown very rapidly, becoming incorporated in May 1961. With the grace of God we shall try to live up to our motto; "Loyal To Christ," and bring Christian fellowship to our girls.